Quennell Rothschild & Partner’s comprehensive restoration plan for Princeton’s historic campus included the extensive redevelopment of the area surrounding Henry House (1837), East Pyne (1897), and Chancellor Green (1873) that together form the eastern boundary of the university’s Front Campus (1764).
Developed in collaboration with Schwartz Silver architects, the new Andlinger Center for foreign language studies was created through the renovation of three existing buildings and the construction of a new one. Paved and generously planted courtyards were developed to integrate the new center into the existing historic context, providing outdoor classrooms and dining spaces as well as casual seating and strolling areas.
Two new entrances were created off Nassau Street, one serving pedestrians and another for vehicles as well. The massive red oaks, several of the campus’ oldest trees were carefully preserved and incorporated in the design. New bluestone paths, courtyards and retaining walls sensitively reflect the historic materials utilized centuries earlier, nearby.